Solman provides a set of our own background images, or you can choose to get some stunning background images from Bing, Nasa, and/or National Geographic.
- Fixed SolMan Selection: Maybe you want just one standard boring image from the collection. With this setting you'll always see this image as the backdrop, whether you are connected to the internet or not. Be sure to pick the image on the right that you want.
- Random Selection: Each game you play will change the background from a randomly selected image chosen from any of the sources you enable. Right click on the background image for information about what or where you are looking at. This appears in the lower right corner and if you hover your mouse over the short description, a longer description will appear (when available from the source). There will also be a button there to change backgrounds on demand. You can now select multiple of these sources. Those sources include:
- From SolMan Images: Random images will include those original Solman images that you see that come with the game. These images always work, even if there is no internet.
- From Bing Picture-Of-The-Day: This option requires an internet connection. We use the last eight days of the Bing home page images. These images are usually quite stunning and generally are outdoor scenes from various parts of the world.
- From NASA Picture-Of-The-Day: This option also requires an internet connection. These images are usually related to Astronomy and quite often are stunning images of the universe from telescopes around the world. The descriptions are written by the Astronomers themselves, explaining what you are looking at.
- From National Geographic Picture-Of-The-Day: This option also requires an internet connection. These stunning images come from photographers around the world and generally contain outdoor life, often involving humans.
If you right click on an open area of the background, the game will add a small control on the bottom right of the game. This control provides a brief description of the image shown. You can hover over the control for a larger description as a tooltip for a brief glimpse, or click on the control short description to get the longer description in a popup. You also have a button on the control to change to the next background image, in case this one is too distracting.
You can have a random cardback image from the collection each game, or turn this off and select from the list.
The layout of each game is different, but most have a "hand" pile that you interact with the most. This control allows you to request that the hand be on the left or on the right. The default is on the right, which works best for right-handed mouse usage. Turn Hand On Left to the on position to flip the board.
SolMan has some small, mostly muted sounds to enhance the game. Disable them if you prefer.